Old 13-12-2008, 11:55 PM posted to aus.gardens
PhilC[_2_] PhilC[_2_] is offline

Default aerating a large lawn on the cheap?

Jeßus wrote:
Just a quick one:

I have about 1.5 acres of 'lawn', the soil appears to be fairly compacted
and so I'd really like to aerate it as it clearly needs doing so.

I also want to introduce clover seed and other varieties as well, so yet
another reason it needs doing.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear of any ideas of how to do this without
spending hundreds (or more) on equipment.

Any good ideas on building something to do the job perhaps? I have a ride-
on and ATV to tow any such gadget around if need be.

TIA.

Have a look here http://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/txt/s1893717.htm
watch the video and you can expand on that idea .

There is or was a thing called the billy goat lawn aerator had a honda
or briggs on it about 5 hp but was less than 20 inches wide

However, if you have a welder do what I did ages ago
get some old tynes off a seeder or rotary hoe
weld the tynes onto a plate that can then be bolted onto your wheel
studs then take the car vehicle for a shake rattle and roll about
the paddocks being sure not to snap off the studs

I later refined that idea to welding the plates on a a frame type thing
with a centre axle and the plates ran along that axle (axis)
Had 2 x 44 gal drums on their sides and just altered the weight by water
fill/empty and took the thing for a drag via the tow ball on the landie .

That thing still lives in Tassie as I loaned to a bloke up at Exeter
before I left

Try a scale model with just star pickets or channel bar and go from
there however a POWERED version is much better albeit more expensive

But your a bright lad hope this helps .

There are the Sheppard Boys (clan) in your neck of the woods
"Big nose" is handy on such solutions RED & White Boat was a Cray
scallop fellah back in the late 80's if he is still around

top bloke fine mind and would help you I am sure