Old 14-12-2008, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge[_2_] Rusty_Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Key lime seedlings...transferring

The message

from Dave Poole contains these words:
On Dec 13, 5:40*pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

So, Key Lime is hardy when established? And the fruits are limes as I
would understand them?

The fruits are somewhat more rounded than the limes we recognise and
are more acidic. Hardiness is a relative thing and although this
Citrus may occasionally have to endure frosts in areas where it is
grown, very rapid returns to less challenging temperatures help lessen
or prevent damage. Although several Citrus can be grown in the south
and south west, C. aurantifolia is not one of them. Far too tender
for your part of the country I'm afraid and it would need to be
overwintered in a slightly heated greenhouse to survive.

Hum. Putting up a lean-to greenhouse in the angle made by garage and
workshop (also under construction), and this will have other tender or
tender-ish things in it. (Have some passionfruit vines, lemons, oranges
and satsumas for a start, so will have to keep it reasonably warm during
the winter.

I'll have to gargle for one/some. I expect Chiltern seeds will have the eggs.

The nearest we can get to a lime that will grow and fruit out of doors
in the UK is the Key lime hybrid with the Kumquat, known (not
surprisingly) as the 'Limequat'. It grows and fruits reasonably well
within half a mile of the coast in the southern-most regions, but
cannot cope with a succession of even very light frosts.

Want-want-want!

Where can I get seeds? Or better, an established whip/sapling/small
tree? (I'm not immortal, you know...)

I've not seen Key limes offered as growing plants, but then I've not
looked for them. I was sent some seeds from Mexico abut 12 years ago
and they germinated very easily. Deciding that I had no room to
overwinter them under cover, I passed them to an acquaintance in
Exeter. Despite being kept in a supposedly frost-free greenhouse,
they died during a particularly cold spell.

Serious research...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig