Old 14-12-2008, 01:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray B[_2_] Ray B[_2_] is offline

Default Blue Sarcochilus

Sounds like it's the pino grape of the orchid world - easily shifting to
other genetic forms somewhat spontaneously.

"Andrew" wrote in message
On Dec 13, 4:45 am, "K Barrett" wrote:

I've been googling like mad looking up Sarco species. There doesn't seem
to be much on anything in weinthalii that would lead to blues, does there?

True, although in addition to the expected white to cream fowers,
Weinhart (weinthalii x hartmannii) can also produce mint green
flowers. While both parents have spot patterns in concentric rings,
one of my Weinharts has spots that are arranged in radiating streaks.
It would seem this species has a lot of potential for interesting
hybrids traits that isn't immediately apparent in the species.