Old 14-12-2008, 10:59 PM posted to aus.gardens
terryc terryc is offline

Default aerating a large lawn on the cheap?

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 22:38:37 +0000, Jeßus wrote:

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear of any ideas of how to do this without
spending hundreds (or more) on equipment.

Any good ideas on building something to do the job perhaps? I have a
ride- on and ATV to tow any such gadget around if need be.

Buy or make something to tow behind your ride on tractor.

It really is a case of a drum filled with concrete with spikes, or a
length of pipe.

If you could lay your hands on some steel pipe, you could weld some heavy
nails to it.

Simplest axle is large pipe through middle of concrete with thinner pipe
inside and you weld the two arms ofthe tow hitch to the thinner pipe.

Alternatively, look for a old vehicle-towed trailer and scavenge the axle
and hubs from that, although about $AUS60 would buy you a pair of
replacement trailer hubs from the cheap auto places.

I would hesitate to suggest a 44gal drum as that is a lot of concrete.
might be better with something like a 20Litre or slightly bigger drum and
just tow it every time you mow.

I hope you are not removing the cut grass, but leaving it as a mulch. you
could also add other material as mulch thinly spread. This is how I
recover bare patches under my trees and feed my lawn. I get large trailer
loads of show rabbit bedding delivered from a breeder, which I thinly
spread over the lawn each load, amongst other places.

I'd suggest bales of rice husks, but given the major slump in our rice
harvest, they are probably hard to find and rather expensive. (Nearly a
decade since SWMBO was raising cute bunnies).

sigh, off to delivery four kittens to the pound, then buy lots of
chocolate for SWMBO to console her)