Old 15-12-2008, 12:22 PM posted to aus.gardens
terryc terryc is offline

Default aerating a large lawn on the cheap?

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 01:39:13 +0000, Jeßus wrote:

Simplest axle is large pipe through middle of concrete with thinner pipe
inside and you weld the two arms ofthe tow hitch to the thinner pipe.

Another idea came to mind if you can weld; old bicycles; the bottom
bracket from cheap bicycles. Real cheap little kids bikes have a plastic
plug beaing, or the o peiece bmx axle can be adaped. Thinkng you might
score some during the summer clean out, especially when kids get upgraded
bicycles for christmas.

I would hesitate to suggest a 44gal drum as that is a lot of concrete.
might be better with something like a 20Litre or slightly bigger drum
and just tow it every time you mow.

Thanks Terry, there are some good ideas there.

I did think of something drum-like in shape with spikes, but as you
mentioned, a 44gal drum will end up weighing too much - unless I use
something lighter than concrete. But plenty food for thought there, for
sure. I'll keep an eye out for something like a 44gal drum, only smaller
diameter.

alternaively, if you bolt offcuts of poly around the axle or outside, you
can lesson the amount of concrete. At one stage I would have sugested
buying pipe/tube and cutting to length and filling the drum with that,
but since the price of steel has oh,gone up a magnitude, it is rather
expensive.

I wonder how a drum chocka with wood, or that saw dust(make sure it is
dry) would work.

sigh, off to delivery four kittens to the pound, then buy lots of
chocolate for SWMBO to console her)

Oh bugger... good luck with that.

Poor guy at the pound flinched when she wanted reassurance that they would
not be euthanised and coped a mouthful (stern taling to). Lol, but managed
to calm her down and explain that he couldn't guarantee it, but it was
best chance.*

Especially, when we went to vet later with olde cat and someone already
had a list of free kittens photos with cute descriptions and no one had
taken the phone number, which was what she was intending to do.

I've had more trouble with the two older cats, who spent more time hissing
at the kittens, but the old one bit me at the vet and the younger one has
been very aloof as it's playmates have disappeared. Even managed to get
caught in the cat trap,which it had totally ignored for weeks.

*I was folding up the carry cage at the pound after they had emptied it
and it didn't sit right, so open it out again and WHOOSH, there went a
ginger flash. "Oh, I thought there was only three" said the pound guy.
Chuckle, the mischevous ginger one had hidden under the old jumper in the
cage. If I hadn't decided to fold the cage down, he would have come
back home again.