Old 16-12-2008, 04:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default Morton Bay fig

On Dec 16, 2:40*am, Sacha wrote:
Nice to be home but returning with a query. *In a small public park in
Devonport near Auckland, NZ, we saw a tree that is entirely new to us called
(I think) Morton Bay fig. *This seems to be Ficus macrophylla but is this
the same tree? *Can any Kiwis confirm that ID? *We were told it's ornamental
and the fruit is eaten only by monkeys in its original home of.....?! *The
leaves look similar to some form of Magnolia and Ray heard someone tell his
friends that's what it is - but it isn't. *Is it? *;-))

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Good to see you back, hope you both had a great time. The Moreton Bay
fig is widespread throughout Australasia and can develop into a huge
banyan, with roots growing down from the branches and developing into
supporting, trunk-like, 'stilt roots' in time. The foliage of adult
trees is somewhat similar in shape to that of evergreen magnolias, but
is deep glossy green with paler green undersides and the typical ficus
bud sheath is present at all shoot tips. In cooler climates, it does
not achieve the massive proportions of those growing in N. Queensland
and the Northern Territories, but it can still become an impressive
tree. I understand it is also grown in S. California, although as a
'street tree' it can cause problems.

It makes a very handsome 'pot plant' in this country and was widely
offered here during the 1970s. It proved to be a better behaved
'rubber plant' than the more conventional Ficus elastica, branching
readily and developing into a more balanced specimen. For some reason
it didn't 'catch on' and had all but disappeared by the early 1980s.
It appears to be more cool tolerant than Ficus elastica and may even
cope with being grown out of doors in the mildest regions of the UK. I
received a seedling from a strain that is supposedly cold tolerant and
it has grown away quite well this summer. It has coped with our
winter so far. Fingers crossed.