Old 11-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Gary Flynn

Default Keeping critters away - sprinkler motion sensors

Kevin Miller wrote:
They are the Scarecrow brand... Here's a few tips I've also learned
with them

Thanks! I'll look around for them.

1. Turn the pressure down on the hose... I'm sure that helps with
'stressing' the mechanism

2. Don't let the sun beat on it all summer, find a way to shield it
somehow (plastic gets brittle from sun/heat)

Sounds like you might have had some problems with yours...hence
the care taking?

3. I've found deer do actually get trained away... Don't use them all
the time. When the deer do come back - they will eventually - I put
them back out

That is a good idea.

What actually broke on yours?

It got prostate problems...just started dribbling out when the
sensor tried to turn it on. That was the problem with the
three DOA new ones too. I tried all different water pressures
and tried to take the thing apart to see what the problem was
but it was pretty well sealed up. I guess now that its completely
dead, I'll take a hammer to the housing and see what makes
it tick.

My neighbor has been putting up tall, double fences and netting
for years and has continued to have problems with the local
deer. I got wiped out once, bought the sprinker, replanted and
nothing touched me all summer. So for you lurkers out there,
they are effective if you get one that works.