Old 18-12-2008, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Morton Bay fig

On 17/12/08 23:28, in article
, "FarmI"
ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message 01.iinet.net.au,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

What did it look like?

Here are 3 pics Ray took:

http://i43.tinypic.com/211q5qb.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/14k9oit.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/1zqeet3.jpg

You might also try posting those pics to the aus.gardens group and asking
there.

As the first pic was downloading, there was a lot of detail of the trunk and
there was a section of the trunk that had that flowing aerial root
downdrooping strangler look to it that some of the fig family has and in
fact one of the Moreton Bay forms IIRC.

I don't know much about figs as they won't grow in my area but some of the
Oz groups people do live in hotter climes and one of them is very
knowledegable about all things plant related so it might be worth your while
asking there.

Thanks for all that. I'm not going to bother them because the people living
around there were content that this is what this tree is and because we're
not likely to grow it in the garden here! What struck us at first was the
similarity to its leaves and some magnolia types. It's a beautiful tree and
the size of these was amazing. I imagine its growth in UK would be a bit
like that of Callistemons - in NZ we saw specimens of those that were at
least 15 to 20 feet tall. For a second or three I didn't quite realise what
I was looking at! And as for the lupins........we're told they're
pestiferous weeds there but when you see yellow tree lupins growing wild on
the side of the roads for miles and miles and drive past 3 miles of valley
filled with Russell lupins of every hue it's hard to think of them as
anything but a glory. Their scent filled our car and we were enchanted by
them. And then there's the Cytisus which has run mad everywhere and the dog
roses, too. What a wonderful place!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com