Old 19-12-2008, 02:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
Don Phillipson Don Phillipson is offline

Default How not to kill the grass?

"mm" wrote in message

I need to leave something on the lawn for a few days, and I wonder if
there is a way to avoid damaging the grass. . . .
The easiest way to remove my small deck, 4' x 8' that is falling
apart, seems to be to get a bagster www.thebagster.com and put the
wood from my deck in it. . . .
it will take me say 2 days to put all the wood
in it, and it will take them 1 to 3 days to pick it up, they say. So
3 to 5 days total.

1. If money is (almost) no object, you can pay a contractor
to disassemble and remove the deck and clear up afterwards.
I do not know the price where you live (Australia) but this will
not take a fit man more than an hour or two.
2. You can do the work yourself at your own speed in either
of two styles, for maximum reuse of good pieces of timber
or for disposal with no reuse.
Case 1 means piling the removed timber in two stacks,
on a base of three or four of the biggest timbers laid on
the grass parallel and one foot apart. This causes no
permanent damage to the grass. You can buy a special
deck disassembly tool with enough leverage to rip out
either screws or nails.
Case 2 means your using a chainsaw to cut everything
into max. 4-ft. lengths, easier to throw into a bagster.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs