Old 19-12-2008, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Lawn.

"Gavsta" wrote in message
Hi Gavin,

Hi Spider, thanks for the detailed reply, Ill try and answer as best I can
inline for consistancy.

You don't say if your lawn has been under standing water for many
weeks/months, or if it has simply been excess rainfall which has, in the
main, drained away.

No standing water as such, but very very wet almost constantly.

If the mud clods are, indeed, produced by worms then
it indicates the latter, as worms would not be able to cope with
long-term standing water. Have a *really* good look at these clods. If
they are shallow heaps of squiggley extrusions, then they are wormcasts -
the proper name for 'mud clods'.

Thats exactly what they look like, I went out tonight and had a quick
look.

In spite of their usually unwanted muddy appearance,
they are actually good news; they tell you that your lawn is not
anaerobic, which it might very well be if months of standing water were
the problem.

OK - thats good news then.

Without having seen the lawn, and therefore onl;y speaking in general terms,
is that evidence of worm activity indicates the soil is normally in ok
conditions. Worms activity can help things like drainage and soil structure.
They can also help to dispose of organic matter in the grass and help
maintain the humus in your soil. Some folk who have trophy lawns do not like
worm clods on their nice clipped grass. having gotten to learn some about
worm I welcome their existence in my lawn. I mow with a fairly high setting
so the worm clods is not really a problem. The odd patch where the earth
gets squished I can quickly remedy by levelling the mound out and dropping
in a handful of grass seed. This however is only general advice from my
perspective and does not address the drainage issue.

rob