Old 20-12-2008, 02:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
mm[_1_] mm[_1_] is offline

Default How not to kill the grass?

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:05:04 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Dec 19, 9:00*am, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
"mm" wrote in message

1. *If money is (almost) no object, you can pay a contractor
to disassemble and remove the deck and clear up afterwards.
I do not know the price where you live (Australia) but this will
not take a fit man more than an hour or two.
2. *You can do the work yourself at your own speed in either
of two styles, for maximum reuse of good pieces of timber
or for disposal with no reuse.

Money is definitely an object, and I also need at least the exercise
of carrying it from the front yard to the back yard.

Don Phillipson

I'd say 5 days or so and the grass will be fine. Much longer if it's
dormant due to cold weather. If it's possible to use some of the wood
to keep the rest of it slightly above the ground so that air can get

That's a great idea. Phisherman said the same thing. I think I'm
just going to use a couple 4-foot 2x4's and nail a couple one inch
pieces under each of them as legs.

in, that would extend the time as well. It can go without sunlight
longer than it can withstand being smothered. left wet, etc.

Plus some of the floor boards of the deck aren't even warped. The
second floor overhangs the first by about 18 inches, and the 8 foot
boards close to the house are in good condition. I can build an
outdoor fire wood rack with them. I need one of those ever since part
of a tree fell on my yard, but I didn't want to spend money because
once I burn that wood, I'll never have that much wood again. .

Maybe if the craigs or freecycle people take away some and if there is
only a little bit of wood left after all this, I'll use the little
harbor freight trailer to take it to landfill, but maybe not. Too long
a story about the reasons not to.