Old 20-12-2008, 05:25 AM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default beetroot in rich soil

"John Savage" wrote in message
Does anyone have experience with growing beetroot (Derwent Globe) in
soil which has just had a lot of sheep and cow manure added to it?

I have warned here of problems with growing carrots in such soil, but
have no experience with beetroot in such conditions. I'm wondering
whether they are likely to develop mostly tops at the expense of the
root?

I seem to recall that beetroot is one root veg that doesn't mind rich soil.
Even if you do get more tops than bottoms, the tops can be used as a green
vag, so not a lot lost there. There's always Mr Edgells if push comes to
shove.