Old 20-12-2008, 07:20 AM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon loosecanon is offline

Default beetroot in rich soil

"John Savage" wrote in message
Does anyone have experience with growing beetroot (Derwent Globe) in
soil which has just had a lot of sheep and cow manure added to it?

I have warned here of problems with growing carrots in such soil, but
have no experience with beetroot in such conditions. I'm wondering
whether they are likely to develop mostly tops at the expense of the
root?

Wishing a Merry Christmas to all the aus.gardens regulars; likewise to
our casual visitors.

I had read about the carrots forking with to much manure in the soil. But a
dept of ag disk I have said it makes no real difference. I used cow and
sheep manure to spruce the soil up at my place and so far the 30 or so
carrots I have pulled have been straight. I'm on WA's gutless grey sand.
Next to that spot I planted Hamburg parsley and added chicken manure to the
sheep and cow mix. So far the roots I have harvested have been like mid
sized parsnips, taste like them too, and are so good roasted. The leaves can
be used like parsley too. I have grown beetroot in the past and remember I
spruced up the soil then too. They just like water. Never grown them again
though as people around here said they tasted to earthy.