Old 20-12-2008, 12:04 PM posted to aus.gardens
Ross McKay[_2_] Ross McKay[_2_] is offline

Default beetroot in rich soil

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 16:36:07 +1100, LindaB wrote:

[...]
We are playing with the recipe in which to pickle them. A friend also
roasts them with the beef - we didn't think much of that the one time
we tried.

We find them best quartered or halved, a little oil or dripping, and
roasted with lamb or chicken. Better still, chop up the leaves and stems
and put them under the animal to steam while everything roasts - they
come out very tasty with the dripping and gel through them

For pickling, are you cooking up with vinegar or lacto-fermenting them?
For cooking, I hear that you cook with the skins on and then slip them
off to chop and bottle, is that right?

I have yet to grow them myself though, so am reading this thread with
interest!
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Let the laddie play wi the knife - he'll learn"