Old 11-04-2003, 03:09 AM
Hussein M.

Default law on boundaries ?

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 22:33:19 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

What is an 'EH' officer?

Environmental Health.

I don't usually like using acronyms. I think it's the influence of
this urg. Can't stand the things myself, and have bored of sitting
staring at a string of letters guessing what they stand for.

Mostly what they stand for is padding phrases anyway. "In my
opinion", "As far as I know" etc.etc.

I know in the old days, when communications technology was such that
data transfer was incredibly slow, economy with text was important and
they had their use as a device for adding a little soft politesse. But
nowadays, for heavens sake, kilobytes of graphics etc are sent on
their way without a blink of an eye so it's really only laziness. Far
from adding politesse it seems to me that the brutality of the CAPS
does quite the opposite to these polite little phrases (if they really
are necessary).

IMHO - stating the obvious with a bit of Uriah Heap thrown in. IMO
is just a shade better but still states the obvious which is implied
in the absence of "according to x or y".

Prune out that ugly dead wood!

Don't mean to offend anyone who has taken the trouble to learn the
little b****rds.

Hussein
May you live an interesting life.