Old 21-12-2008, 02:28 AM posted to aus.gardens
Ross McKay[_2_] Ross McKay[_2_] is offline

Default Beetroot preserving

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 10:17:18 +1100, LindaB wrote:

There is much inter-family discussion going on here. [...]

Thanks, very interesting to see the different methods. Your beloved's
method is the one I've read in several places. Leaving the "pigtail" and
the skin in place is to stop all the red bleeding out, IIRC. I look
forward to trying all of this sometime, and also comparing to a simple
lactic-acid ferment.

I note preserving books give a higher proportion of vinegar (eg three
quarters of a cup of water to two and a quarter cups of vinegar).

Books tend to go higher on both acid and salt than traditional recipes,
and I reckon it must be out of concern for lawsuits - e.g. when some
plonker par-boils dirty beetroot and packs it into jars, the higher acid
and salt will provide extra protection against pathogens

Growing them, we are now moving to putting in a new crop of about half
a dozen or so a month, and always having a few coming along.

And I thought I liked my beetroot...

cheers,
Ross.
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Nobody ever rioted for austerity" - George Monbiot