Old 11-04-2003, 03:09 AM
Hussein M.

Default Hostas

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:44:32 +0100, "Kim Bewick"
wrote:

Last summer we planted a Hosta in our garden, which has full sun on it all
day long, in soil that is fairly heavy and has a lot of clay content (not
sure if this is relevant but thouight I'd tell you anyway :-)
It survived the summer quite well,

"Quite well?" That doesn't sound too enthusiastic.

Hostas usually like a bit of shade from the sun and certainly like
being kept damp. This may be to some extent species dependent. I
suspect that sunshine may be needed to accentuate the variegation
(patches of different colour in the leaf) of the voluptuous American
cultivars (which depend to a great extent on such variegation for
their interest), but my comments I think are true with regards Hostas
in general.

If you moved the plant to a more shady area, next year maybe you
will be prompted to remark they did "stupendously well" last year.

Alternatively, as they are a plant which can be divided, when it
reaches the size when you can divide it, you could plant a division in
a shady area and compare.

What do others think?

Hussein

May you live an interesting life.