Old 21-12-2008, 07:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
endymion endymion is offline

Default Garden - digging round a septic tank.

I have a septic tank . Its a brick built two chamber type built about
1958. Currently the area around it ( drainage field?) is covered in grass.
I am tired of grass and fed up of mowing all the time. Its a good long
stretch of ground to the right of the house and runs for a good 200 feet
before hitting the back section which is overgrown and I cant seem to do
anything with at all. ( was greenhouses but they were dismantled long ago)
and would be ideal as a garden area to be honest. Is there any reason I
cannot take off the grass and dig this area up to put in a garden? Would I
disturb the drains or something? The other side of the garden has a lot of
trees and bushes in and a couple of greenhouses and a summerhouse so its not
possible to put in more garden there without taking down these items. The
back is overgrown with a hedge and there isn't much I can do with that at
all except gravel it and keep it tidy.