Old 21-12-2008, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\)[_267_] Robert \(Plymouth\)[_267_] is offline

Default Cork oaks

"Derek" wrote in message

wrote in message
I watched the programme on BBC 2 which showed the cork oaks after harvet.
How come they
don't die after the bark has been stripped off? If I took the bark off a
normal tree all
the way round, it would die.

Kath

'The Stories of George the Hamster'
Translated by Lee H and Kathleen Smith
ISBN - 978-0-9546989-3-5
Available from www.arlev.clara.net/george.htm
and from both on line and High Street Bookshops

I had to check but as I suspected the stripping of bark is only done to
the outer Cork layer without compromising a secondary layer which contains
the Xylem if you overdid it and stripped that layer then that would kill
the tree. Its amazing that a mature tree can replace the cork in as little
as 3 years.
DerekW

There are lovely cork trees across the Tamar in Mt Edgcumbe Country Park