Old 23-12-2008, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_3_] Zootal[_3_] is offline

Default Don't forget the garden this Holiday season

snip

* Everything looks in good shape. Snow peas climbing up trellis.
First batch of radishes about used up; time to replant. Baby
spinach for dinner last night...yum. Bok choy needs thinning.
Beets doing OK, but need thinning. (I am always chicken about
thinning, though I know it's counterproductive to be anthropopathic
about plants.) Couple of big tomatoes slowly ripening. Some weird
cherry tomatoes still hanging on; never get red. Brussels
sprouts doing OK, but full of holes. Strewed some snailbait;
hope it works. Same for mesclum, which is leaping out of the
ground; will soon need to be pulled & replaced. Carrots going
gangbusters; same with green onions.

I found a shovel in the garden, stuck into the mud where I had been digging
for potatoes a month ago. Everything here is mud, mud, mud. Portland is
buried under a foot or so of snow, and all we got was rain.

Maybe I'll bring the tools in, clean them, sharpen, oil, and paint the
handles...change oil in mower and tiller.... My tomatoe trellises are still
outside because it hasn't stopped raining long enough for me to bring them
in. Is just one day without rain too much to ask for?