Old 23-12-2008, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sheila Sheila is offline

Default Silver Birch

"graham" wrote in message

"Judith in France" wrote in message
I arrived home in France today to see my beloved Silver Birch, I have
about a dozen but 2 were very damaged with the weight of snow on their
branches. They are drooping, like a willow, will they recover or will
I need to prune, severely in Spring?

If you do prune do NOT do it in spring but early summer when the sap has
stopped running! Same for maples.
Graham
(in W. Canada where the temperature has been dropping to -30C at night
over the last 10 days or so)

Graham, my son has just returned from Calgary, and he said it was -40 there,
his boots froze to the ground.....he was unloading a helicopter at the
time.....