Old 23-12-2008, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H[_3_] Gordon H[_3_] is offline

Default Silver Birch

In message , Anne Welsh Jackson
writes
Martin wrote:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 15:06:50 -0800 (PST), Judith in France
wrote:

I arrived home in France today to see my beloved Silver Birch,
I have about a dozen but 2 were very damaged with the weight
of snow on their branches. They are drooping, like a willow,
will they recover or will I need to prune, severely in Spring?

Aren't silver birches native to countries where they get heavy snowfalls?

They're not the longest-lasting of trees. You rarely see "ancient" birches.

I learned that at the country park. There are many dead birches,
either fallen or waiting to fall. On the bright side, they are
excellent hosts for fungi, especially razor-strop and other 'bracket'
fungi.
You can often find Fly Agaric beneath birch trees.

I usually knock the snow off mine, with a broom handle, or somesuch.

I suppose you use a discarded one which can no longer be ridden?
;-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply