Old 24-12-2008, 12:42 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jeßus[_6_] Jeßus[_6_] is offline

Default rural couriers (was cheap lawn aeration)

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 11:25:16 +1100, David Hare-Scott wrote:

Jeßus wrote:
On a related topic:

My spreader *finally* arrived (communicating with couriers here is a
nightmare) last Friday. Only took 3.5 weeks - all the way from Hobart
(a mere 3 hour drive!)... Still, it only cost about $300, I couldn't
find anything else under $1300 (not all that much better in build
quality anyway). So the wait was worth it... Anyway, I digress.

You have a courier who actually delivers?

Oh David - don't get me started...

I have ONE courier who delivers to my door - as long as you make several
STD phone calls over a period of a week AND only if it suits them.

In the few months that I have lived here, I could write a small paperback
on the trials and tribulations of dealing with couriers here. This is one
industry which seems to lead a very charmed life. Most engage in outright
theft here, IMO

The system here is they (or
some part of the delivery chain) take delivery of an item but by the
time they get to the nearest main road they decide they will not go
further to our minor road.

Yep...

When I refuse to allow items to be dropped
at a shop on the main road, where I would have to pick it up and
security is uncertain, the courier gets abusive. If I point out that
the destination is plain and if he (or his upstream agents) cannot
deliver it then they shouldn't take it in the first place.

Oh yes indeed, a very obvious and sensible policy that'd be.
But then, they already have your package - and the delivery is pre-paid.
So they have no real incentive to do what theyve actually been paid for.

At this
point he goes ballistic, it's all my fault you see.

Yep. Along with you not having checked in advance for any problems (their
usual claim), even though you have enquired into every possible scenario
you can think of in advance already. Right?

I have tried to get
vendors to check in advance before they consign stuff but it does no
good, the head of the chain always says yes we can do it.

Yep...
As I have just mentioned - no amount of pre-emptive checking does any
good.

Somebody is rorting the system but I cannot determine who.

The couriers are, from pickup to 'delivery'.
As mentioned - they have your goods - they've already been paid, so what
is their incentive to deliver anything that requires what they perceive
to be any extra effort?

I could tell you some incredible stories regarding the couriers I have
dealt with. None of the senders initially believe my claims - not until a
few weeks have passed, and I'm forced to make contact with them for
connote numbers, etc.

I ordered a coffee grinder and beans yesterday. I explained to them what
the problems are with couriers. They called TNT (not a company I have
dealt with here, as far as I can recall). They phoned TNT, who assured
them that the goods will be delivered to my door. I've never seen a TNT
van here. You watch what will happen...

It's really unfortunate that some businesses are so inflexible with
shipping options. The item is under 6KG but cost over $60 in shipping
costs via TNT. I'll wager I have to travel the 160KM to Launceston to
pick it up - and this is after a few weeks of misleading phone calls, etc.

Add to that the extra cost charged to deliver it to my home address,
despite the fact that it doesnt even leave Launceston.

They couldve sent it via Aus Post, who would charged approx. $15, and
it'd be here in a few days.

Some businesses are willing to cooperate though, and will send my stuff
via Aus Post after considerable nightmares tracking down my items.

I've had items 'delivered' and vanished without a trace. Thankfully the
businesses concerned sent replacements.

Another common stunt here is that without warning, deliveries get
transferred to a completely differnt courier company. They *never* tell
you this either. And then you wonder why the connote number is invalid...

No point giving them your phone number either - they will NOT phone you -
not ever. They *know* you'll have to chase them up, as you have no other
choice.

You also need to be a mind reader, as all the companies have unique and
many quirks - ie; only deliver if there is also a beer delivery for the
town club, or the astrological signs permit it. That sort of thing.

Heres another nice experience: the *steel* 16" wheels for my 4X4 - two
arrived smashed, literally. The ones I waited 4 months to arrive from the
U.S, of course. How in Gods name does that happen? And the courier had NO
problems with that at all - even though it was plainly obvious... didnt
even say a word about it *at all* until I did.

It's now put together, ready for use. I'll wait another week for the
grass to grow, then give it a test run. Looks like there will be a lot
of trial and error to work out the setting for the correct rate of
release of fertiliser and/or seed. I might try a few dummy runs with
the 30y/o sawdust I have access to, thats assuming it doesnt clog it
up.

You can also use sand or sandy loam to dilute seed.

Good tip, thanks.

I'm hoping the sawdust *won't* clog up in the spreader, as I was
thinking about spreading the sawdust each and every time I cut the
grass, since there is not much in the way of organic matter in the
lawn. Previous owners clearly used a catcher for many years,
unfortunately. Not something I'll ever do!

But where did they put the clippings?

Some 'down the back' along the creek, but also at the local tip, probably.
Oddly enough, a lot of people within the township go to the trouble of
carting their clipping away. And no, I don't understand it either