Old 23-12-2008, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Angela[_3_] Angela[_3_] is offline

Default Silver Birch

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Dec 23, 2:14 pm, "Angela" wrote:
"graham" wrote in message
I recently had a crown reduction done on my silver birch, the tree sugeon
wouldn't even consider doing it untill after the leaves had mostly fallen
as
he siad they bleed so badly you really can only prune in the autumn

Isn't that slightly different from what another poster said? I
thought that perhaps, after reading the posts above, that they were
similar to plum which can only be pruned when the sap is rising?

Judith

No absolutely not, silver birches apparently bleed profusely. I'm only
telling what a professional tree surgeon said and he had no reason to lie,
he could very well have lost the job if I hadn't believed him and just got
somebody to do it in the summer