Old 11-04-2003, 03:56 AM
Dwayne

Default when to prune my rose?

I always prune my roses while they are still dormant. That is before it
starts putting on leaves or buds.

Next thing. If your rose is that big, is it because it has been neglected
or is it possibly a climbing rose? If it is a climbing rose, it isn't
pruned like the others. You also get something for it to grow up onto
(trellis, wall, fence, Etc.). You might get on rec.gardens.roses and see
what they have to say. I have one climber and prune it at chest height.
The rest are cut back to within 12 and 18 inches of the ground.

Dwayne

"Stephen Younge" wrote in message
I live in Boulder, Colorado, and noticed that a large rose bush (about

four
feet tall) in our backyard is greening up already.

Last year, I vowed to prune it, as it is so tall that it bends down to the
ground once it blooms.

Should I prune this spring or wait until this fall?

I'm a rose/flower newby, as most of my gardening to date has been

tomatoes,
cucumbers, and the like!

Any advice would be appreciated!

cheers,