Old 24-12-2008, 07:44 AM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon loosecanon is offline

Default rural couriers (was cheap lawn aeration)

"Jeßus" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 12:46:18 +1100, Pete wrote:

snip

Over time this whole situation ought to improve - if only because slowly
but surely I am finding suitable companies willing to send by Aus Post
(after they witness what happens here) and/or learning each and every
quirk of the various courier companies. By then, I'll better be able to
choose *who* to buy from, based on their shipping methods.

As a matter of interest I have noticed in the past few years that mail can
be delayed upto 3 weeks in getting to country Queensland. I sell seeds and
blank plant labels/tags on eBay & Oztion. These are not sent by parcel post
but fit in standard and prepaid envelopes which travel by air from Perth. I
figure at worst they would take 3 days to get to Brisbane and a day or 2 to
get to the country areas.

The delay happens mainly every 2 or 3 years so I am assuming that the
smaller areas have mail contractors who put tenders into Australia Post. My
theory is not many reapply hence the delays at these times.

These courier companies jack up the prices so much on items I can't see why
they can't to be mailed using Australia Post Express or do a deal with
Australia Post in remote areas to deliver items.

Barbara makes no sense because if she has a contract to cart items from A-B
the price is quoted taking all factors into consideration (time & vehicle
upkeep). Here we have a price already supplied by the courier company to
have it delivered to the door. They should never take on anything they can't
make good on and should quote a price to make the end couriers efforts at
least profitable.

I have had only one hassle using Australia Posts Express Post where a
customer said the 3kg Satchel had not arrived. I filled out a form to say
the item had disappeared supplied the number on the satchel. I received a
letter from AP saying the item had arrived at the Post Office in that town
and the date. The item was sitting in the post office for a week.

As the customer was not notified by a card in the letterbox or had it
delivered to the home address I thought I would be entitled to a free 3kg
Express post satchel. I made a call and was told it arrived at the port
office in good time so they would not honour the guarantee. I was peeved by
this and wrote a letter. I stated how I had mailed the item etc etc and how
I had to waste my time filling in forms. I got a letter of apology and a
free satchel.