Old 24-12-2008, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete Stockdale Pete Stockdale is offline

Default Silver Birch

"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote in message
"Angela" wrote:

Isn't that slightly different from what another poster said? I
thought that perhaps, after reading the posts above, that they were
similar to plum which can only be pruned when the sap is rising?

No absolutely not, silver birches apparently bleed profusely. I'm
only telling what a professional tree surgeon said and he had no
reason to lie, he could very well have lost the job if I hadn't believed
him and just got somebody to do it in the summer

A neighbour of our very stupidly had their silver birches (savagely)
pruned last summer, and the following morning it looked as if they'd
had a new water feature installed!

Could it not have been a sap extraction wine source gone drastically wrong
?
Little holes and corks is the common method iirc.

Regards
Pete (;-)