Old 26-12-2008, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H[_3_] Gordon H[_3_] is offline

Default Postage up again

In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 10:28:36 +0000, Gordon H wrote:

I would not like to be "young and earning" now!

I'm not particulary young but do have to earn.

Retirement prospects are grim for the baby boomers.

Aye, I found out earlier in the year that they have sneaked another year
onto my retirement age, I now have to wait until I'mm 66 before I get the
state pension.

:-( It makes it tough if you are forced into early retirement before
the, as we were. I had to scrape from age 58 until I received the
State pension + SERPS at 65, and we were lucky enough to have 10% B.S.
rates to put our lump sums into at that time.

If the state pension still exists by then, I hope it does
for me but for those less than 40 I'd be half making the assumption that
it won't by the time they reach retirement age.

I'm afraid you may be right.
My daughter is 46, and I have told her not to assume that a future
government won't do something to reduce her Local Government F.S.
pension during the next 20 years or so.
Private sector company schemes have been slashed thanks to G.B. and
other factors, and Public Sector pensions are going to be more than the
next generation of tax payers are willing to pay for.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply