Old 27-12-2008, 06:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Morton Bay fig

On 27/12/08 00:36, in article , "~misfit~"
wrote:

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Sacha" typed:
On 19/12/08 11:50, in article
, "Sacha"
wrote:

On 19/12/08 01:20, in article
,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Just had a look at the pics Sacha. While No.2 shows what appears to
be typical Ficus macrophylla trunk and 'butressing', the foliage and
fruits in No.3 are not F. macrophylla. I've had a ferret about and
found this pic of typical fruiting macrophylla material:
http://plantarium.files.wordpress.co...acrophylla.jpg
You can see that foliage and fruits are significantly different. I
don't know what No.3 is, but I do know it isn't Ficus macrophylla.

Thanks, David, though the mystery deepens! Perhaps someone from
Australia or NZ will see this.

Many apologies, I've just realised that the fruit pic is NOT the one
Ray took of the Moreton Bay figs! It was a hedge of some sort down
on King Edward Parade in Devonport, right outside the sailing club,
just in case that helps anyone to ID it We took hundreds of photos
of various things and I've muddled those up! The fruits we saw on
the Moreton Bay Fig are exactly as your pic shows them. Now all I
need to find out is what those 'incorrect' fruits really are!

Hi Sacha,

I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your holiday here. :-)

There used to be a Moreton Bay Fig tree in my parents garden. I bought the
"Rubber Plant" for mum as a mother's day gift and, when it got too big for
growing inside she planted it out. However, about 15 years later it got to
be too big for the garden too so had to be felled.

Rubber plant definitely strikes a chord because we looked at these and saw a
similarity immediately. They are superb trees in Flagstaff Terrace,
Devonport.

I've studied the fruits in the other pic and, sorry, I can't help you with
identifying them. Then again, I certainly don't profess to be an expert, far
from it in fact. ;-)

Cheers,

I wish I could find out what they are, just out of curiosity. Nobody seems
to have any idea. I don't think they can be that rare or unusual because
they were on a hedge by the sailing club, bordering a road, not tucked away
in some exotic botanic garden.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com