Old 11-04-2003, 04:20 AM

Default CO2 system components

I have settled on the Swagelok B-SS2 metering
Valve. I am not sure yet but am leaning toward the Swagelok PFA
Tubing. It is supposed to be resistent to CO2 and Carbonic Acid.
Have any of you used this??

Sure, so is silicone tubing.

Next is a Anti-Siphon/ Check valve. Swagelok sells a few but
I am concerned about the cracking pressures. With a flow rate so low
it can be measured by bubbles per minute will the tube have enough
pressure to maintain the cracking pressure or would it cycle every few
minutes as it builds up pressure and then dump into the tank?? The
lowest I see in the catalouge is 1/3 of a PSI. I have the charts but
I am just not knowledgable enough in these things to figure it out!
If this will not work are there any recommendations??

Well if you use a check valve, best to place it after the regulator
and before the needle valve.

I have never used a check valve on a single system I have set up for
others or my own.
I never will either.

There's no need if your reactor of system is creating postive suction.
There's never any backpressure so there's never any chance for
backflow.

Even when the gas tank runs out. If the gas is fed into the
pump's/filter's intake, you never need a check valve. Check valves
stick and fail.
Postive suction can fail also if the pump gets stuck but then there's
no pressure at all except positive unless both the pump gets stuck and
the gas tank runs out. I've set this up to see if any backflow
ocurrs......it did not but I put and top loop in the CO2 line so it
has to come up at least 2-3 inches to back into the line(then it has
to come up the height of the tank on the other end and fill the entire
tubing length somehow)

Also I am looking for recommendations on a reactor/ chamber.

See he
http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/co2reactor.htm

I hate throwing away money so thanks for any info anyone cares to
share!
WF

Give us your money, we will see to it that it is not thrown away:-)
Regards,
Tom Barr