Old 27-12-2008, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New Year's Day plant count

In article ,
says...
On 27/12/08 11:40, in article
, "Pete
Stockdale" wrote:

"AriesVal" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 13:41:53 +0000, Sacha wrote:

We usually try - don't always succeed - to go round the garden on NYD to
see
what is flowering on that day. I thought it might be interesting if
everyone on urg did that and compared notes, if they are feeling able to
do
so, of course. ;-))
For example, we have primroses out at present, as well as all the usual
suspects like Lonicera purpusii and Sarcococcas, Viburnum tinus etc. and
on
Christmas Eve we saw two tiny flowered daffs in someone's garden in
Ivybridge, about 30 mins down the A38 from here.

Good idea. I may do that later on today weather permitting. I'm not
familiar with most of the latin names tho and even when I'm told them I
tend
to forget but I will take some photos of what is flowering and perhaps
someone will be kind enough to name them for me ?

But the point seems to be that we do it on the same day ie NYD.
Not today !
Not for the first time, Martin has succeeded in throwing in one of his red
herrings - only this time it's a cat !
By the time that is sorted, everybody has forgotten what Sacha had
suggested.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

I'll give urg memories a prod on NYE - if I remember to do so. ;-) We've
had a few very mild days here which must have produced optimism in some
plants and now we're having quite a cold snap which will alter things again,
perhaps. That's why we try to do it on NYD each year because it's a
constant factor. A week here and there can make quite a difference.

Well it prodded mine, Daffodills I thought and rushed up and sure enough
the leaves are not showing yet so managed a quick cut of the grass before
its too late, will do the honours re flowers on NYD :~)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk