Old 11-04-2003, 04:32 AM
Hussein M.

Default Ceanothus problem

On 10 Apr 2003 13:43:46 -0700, (SteveC)
wrote:

I bought a Ceanothus a couple of years ago. The problem is that on
most of the branches there are no leaves on the inner half. It has
always been like this and looks very straggly. It has been a couple of
years now and it seems to be struggling. Does any one know if this is
normal or if not if there is anything I can do to get it looking more
healthy.

Is it against a wall or standing free? I expect you have the common
or garden centre variety - maybe it's the C. impressus.

I have one of those against a SW wall and consider it to have an
untidy habit. You didn't mention whether you think its blooms have the
possibility of compensating for its habit. They don't for me.

After the spring bulbs (grape hyacinths folks?), I'm a little fed up
with the shade of blue possessed by mine (other species may have
different hues).

Sorry Ceanothus, it seems to me you try to be garish but somehow end
up insipid.There are many species in your genus and I note that most
(perhaps all?) come from California. Hmmm. In the Chaparral and a
light different from our own, you might have some charm but with the
Aconitum carmichaelii just planted close by, you have a dangerous (in
more ways than one) rival this year singing the summer blues in an
English garden.

Hussein
Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.