Old 27-12-2008, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New Year's Day plant count

Sacha wrote:
We usually try - don't always succeed - to go round the garden on NYD to see
what is flowering on that day. I thought it might be interesting if
everyone on urg did that and compared notes, if they are feeling able to do
so, of course. ;-))
For example, we have primroses out at present, as well as all the usual
suspects like Lonicera purpusii and Sarcococcas, Viburnum tinus etc. and on
Christmas Eve we saw two tiny flowered daffs in someone's garden in
Ivybridge, about 30 mins down the A38 from here.

We did pick a vase full of roses today, in spite of the cold. There's
also some cyclamen going.

Otherwise, the bark's the thing, the snakebark maples are at their best
now. A. davidii 'Ernest Wilson', 'Karmen'; A. capillipes, A. x
conspicuum 'Silver Vein' and 'Elephant's ear'; A. pectinatum 'Alice'
is particularly interesting; A. micranthum 'Candelabrum'; the
rufinerves.

The red barked plants are also glowing, the various Acers like Sango
kaku, Eddisbury, Phoenix, and also the Cornus albas. Always pretty
against the background of a green lawn.

But ouch, it's cold. -4C for forecast in the Orne tonight. We do
not approve.

-E