Old 29-12-2008, 09:10 AM posted to aus.gardens
giovani[_5_] giovani[_5_] is offline

Default Does anybody know what this fruit is ?!?

Dave -Turner wrote:
hey Jules thanks very much for the feedback,

"jules" wrote in message
The banana passionfruit I've eaten were long and more yellow than
orange

same, that's why I didn't even recognise these as banana passionfruit ... I
guess the longer yellower ones are the nicer varieties, whereas this orange
one is chosen simply for its vigorous rootstock, with total disregard to the
quality of the fruit or weed-like growing potential due to the grafting.

I have a
mad rootstock invading my backyard, been trying to get rid of it for
years. I wouldn't be so cranky about it if it produced fruit of any
variety! Never planting a grafted passionfruit again, just not worth the
bother. The rootstock is way to invasive and useless.

I think I will chop my banana passionfruit vine in the next day or two,
because the fruit is afterall quite bland, and I don't want it taking over
the Nelly Kelly grafted vine which is currently doing pretty well. No signs
of its rootstock shooting off any banana passionfruit branches yet though so
she's going well.

It's only one physical banana passionfruit vine tho, so surely if I chop it
at its base and pull the rootstock out that should be the end of it ???

Cheers

Alternatively, since you have a strong rootstock growing, why not cut it
back a bit (to say a foot long main stem) and graft a piece (or two?) of
your Nelly Kelly to it. Kill two birds with one stone - so to speak

Had similar problem with the graft taking over before I realised what
had happened. Unfortunately I chopped plant out before I thought about
it .... what if I graft to the vigorous growth :-(

avagoodone
giovani