Old 29-12-2008, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default New Year's Day plant count

On 29/12/08 09:37, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 09:07:12 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 28/12/08 18:01, in article
,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 06:46:55 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 27/12/08 18:27, in article
,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:
snip

No daffs (we haven't any early vars, but seen them elsewhere in west
Cornwall) and no camellias, which surprises me a bit.

No Camellias? Our C. sasnaqua Narumigata is out now and flowering well but
it is an early one, of course.

Most of mine are japonicas, with the odd Williamsii x's, although my
mother over at St. Ives has had one or two early flowering japonicas
out for several weeks and I've seen others around.

No temperatures below freezing so far this winter, and only a couple
of very light grass-frosts.

I have one of the lurgies so didn't go out yesterday but Ray tells me that
frost stayed in shady pockets in the garden all day. The wind was in the
east and it was very cold.

Bitterly cold east wind here too, blowing half a gale this PM, but
it's keeping the temperature around 2 - 3C at night, with only a trace
of grass-frost visible Saturday AM, so not all bad.

Ray reckons he can smell snow in the air. When he first said that to me
years ago, I didn't believe him but he's been proved right too many times
for me to scoff now. It certainly has that look about it today - still very
cold and a leaden sky with no wind at all. It feels as if the world is
holding its breath.

The Met Office thinks you are going to be cold but dry for the rest of the
year,
weather wise that is.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/...ast_irsat.html

So far, they're right. But lying between moor and sea on a peninsula,
anything can happen in a matter of minutes and it does, frequently!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com