Old 11-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Default questions from a first-time homeowner on bugs!

jameson wrote:

Thanks for your reply Tsu...
but you claim that I should not bother ant hills unless that are in my
"livingroom"... so how do people enjoy backyard football or volleyball
when they have to look down every 6 steps to avoid stepping in or
fallin gin a 2 foot wide anthill?

I have become for the first time enthrawled with ants now.. I just
keep catching myself on the internet learning more and more about
thier behaviors, but I havent found out who thier "enemies" are.. I
would think off hand birds, but if that were the case, my backyard
would be full of birds having a feeding frenzy... who are ants natural
enemies?

Anteaters, ant bears, ant lions, echidnas, parasitic mites, but mostly
each other. Humans and ants, both being highly evolved social animals,
share much behavior, including waging war. Ants are members of the family
formicidae, whose sting carries the irritating agent formic acid. They have
few predators simply because they taste bad.