Old 29-12-2008, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
~misfit~[_3_] ~misfit~[_3_] is offline

Default Morton Bay fig

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "~misfit~" typed:
Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Sacha" typed:
On 28/12/08 11:55, in article ,
"~misfit~" wrote:

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Sacha" typed:

snip

I've studied the fruits in the other pic and, sorry, I can't help
you with identifying them. Then again, I certainly don't profess
to be an expert, far from it in fact. ;-)

I wish I could find out what they are, just out of curiosity.
Nobody seems to have any idea. I don't think they can be that rare
or unusual because they were on a hedge by the sailing club,
bordering a road, not tucked away in some exotic botanic garden.

Sacha, I've asked in a NZ group (and linked to your pic) and have
been asked what sailing club they were near as apparently there are
several clubs on Auckland's North Shore and a debate as to what the
plant is.

The Devonport Sailing Club. It's on King Edward Parade and outside
it has several boats with their histories and a plaque to Peter Blake
(one-time skipper of Lion) the famous NZ yottie. AFAIR the hedge
was right near the entrance to part of the Club. In fact, we asked
one of the members going out to his car what the hedge was but he
couldn't help us. Many thanks for trying to resolve this one for us.

I've relayed the info to a fairly planty person on Auckland's North
Shore. We shall see.....

Ok, the person who was trying to find out for us visited the North Shore and
couldn't find the plant in question (asked if you meant Devonport *Yacht*
club?) and in the end sent your pic to a local gardening consultant of their
acquiantence. The reply was: "It is Ficus pumila a commonly grown climbing
fig"

I just did a quick Google image search for "ficus pumila fruit" and I didn't
find fruit identical to those in your pic but I found pics of green ones the
same shape:

http://www.toptropicals.com/html/top...d/nursery1.htm
http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty...ic_pum_mid.jpg
http://flickr.com/photos/30628871@N00/10438699

Hope that helps Sacha. Happy new year. :-)
--
Shaun.