Old 30-12-2008, 07:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Morton Bay fig

On 30/12/08 00:05, in article
, "Dave
Poole" wrote:

On Dec 29, 11:12*pm, Sacha wrote:
The reply was: "It is Ficus pumila a commonly grown climbing
fig"

[snip]

Many thanks, it helps indeed. *It must be yacht club, I think but it was the
only one in that vicinity. *And the fruit looks very similar though this was
grown as a hedge, not a climbing plant.

Ficus pumila and F. radicans have juvenile and adult (arborescent)
forms in much the same way as Ivy and Euonymus japonica. Cuttings
taken of adult growth will remain shrubby with the larger leaves and
could be used as a hedge. We never see the adult phases of these
Ficus in the UK, which is my excuse for not recognising something I've
used as groundcover here!

Thanks, Dave. All that explains a lot, I must say. The leaves were faintly
familiar to us but - we realise now - were mildly chlorotic and of course,
the fruit was totally unknown though very attractive. They were fully ripe
so in NZ I imagine it's one of those autumn fruits because we saw it around
11 December and 1 December is the official start of summer there, we were
told.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com