Old 30-12-2008, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
~misfit~[_3_] ~misfit~[_3_] is offline

Default Morton Bay fig

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Sacha" typed:
On 29/12/08 23:01, in article ,
"~misfit~" wrote:

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "~misfit~" typed:
Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Sacha" typed:
On 28/12/08 11:55, in article ,
"~misfit~" wrote:

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Sacha" typed:
snip

I've studied the fruits in the other pic and, sorry, I can't
help you with identifying them. Then again, I certainly don't
profess to be an expert, far from it in fact. ;-)

I wish I could find out what they are, just out of curiosity.
Nobody seems to have any idea. I don't think they can be that
rare or unusual because they were on a hedge by the sailing club,
bordering a road, not tucked away in some exotic botanic garden.

Sacha, I've asked in a NZ group (and linked to your pic) and have
been asked what sailing club they were near as apparently there
are several clubs on Auckland's North Shore and a debate as to
what the plant is.

The Devonport Sailing Club. It's on King Edward Parade and outside
it has several boats with their histories and a plaque to Peter
Blake (one-time skipper of Lion) the famous NZ yottie. AFAIR the
hedge was right near the entrance to part of the Club. In fact,
we asked one of the members going out to his car what the hedge
was but he couldn't help us. Many thanks for trying to resolve
this one for us.

I've relayed the info to a fairly planty person on Auckland's North
Shore. We shall see.....

Ok, the person who was trying to find out for us visited the North
Shore and couldn't find the plant in question (asked if you meant
Devonport *Yacht* club?) and in the end sent your pic to a local
gardening consultant of their acquiantence. The reply was: "It is
Ficus pumila a commonly grown climbing fig"

I just did a quick Google image search for "ficus pumila fruit" and
I didn't find fruit identical to those in your pic but I found pics
of green ones the same shape:

http://www.toptropicals.com/html/top...d/nursery1.htm
http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty...ic_pum_mid.jpg
http://flickr.com/photos/30628871@N00/10438699

Hope that helps Sacha. Happy new year. :-)

Many thanks, it helps indeed. It must be yacht club, I think but it
was the only one in that vicinity. And the fruit looks very similar
though this was grown as a hedge, not a climbing plant. It's kind of
you and your friend to go to such trouble - please will you thank him
or her for me? I'm really glad to have tracked that down - it's like
an uncomfortable itch until one does!

You're very welcome, I'm pleased to help. I'll pass on your thanks.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.