Old 31-12-2008, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Looking for greenhouse info.

In article
,
Special Agent Melvin Purvis wrote:

On Dec 31, 3:53?am, "Hedda Lettis" wrote:
"Special Agent Melvin Purvis" wrote in

m...

My first attempt at growing vegatables in a small greenhouse, 8x10,
was a complete disaster. ?Nothing to show for it at all last year.

With a new year coming up I would like to start with a clean slate and
do it right. ?Can someone direct me to a book or a website that has
reliable information about greenhouse growing techniques? ?TIA.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/strucs/is an excellent source of
information on greenhouses and growing veggies in them. ?I had no luck
growing veggies in my GH either. ?Can you tell us what went wrong? Insects?
Funguses?

The greenhouse is located in a coastal area in Northern California,
near the Oregon border. Cold nights and cool days are typical through
the summer. The atmosphere is usually humid.

In an effort to maintain warmth in the greenhouse I closed the vents
at night. When I opened the vents in the morning the windows would be
covered with condensation. To provide a heat sink I filled ten five-
gallon sealed containers with water where they would warm in the sun
and then release heat at night.

I thought that the sunlight beating on the pots might be overheating
the roots, so I constructed a plastic shade which kept the pots in
shadow. Insects were not a problem as the place was infested with
ravenous black spiders.

I was trying to grow tomatoes and planted several varieties in five-
gallon pots filled with sterile garden soil "optomised for
vegetables". The plants were spindly and did not set fruit.

Tomatoes do not do well in any kind of shade.
You also may have had a soil problem?
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama