Old 01-01-2009, 12:49 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Bees gone for a break too?

Janet Conroy wrote:
terryc;826187 Wrote:
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 02:19:01 +0000, Jonno wrote:
-
Hmm Yes, but WHEN do you dust.
I've done everything to attract bees, and get caught out with this
stuff....
There must be a better way.-

After the tomatoes have finished flowering as the bees will not be
visiting the tomato plants.

I don't know whether this has spread to the antipodes, but the US, UK
and other parts of western Europe are suffering from "colony collapse
disorder' where huge numbers of honey bees are dying - partly due to
some mite that infests the hives. Without bees the world's food
sources would dry up in a few years. It is SO important to do nothing
that kills bees and everything we gardeners can to provide them with
lots of food sources, especially nectar-rich plants,to keep them
going.

I count myself fortunate, my pasture has clover and on a good day you can
hear the bees hum loudly. Sometimes you see posts about hand pollination, I
struggle to imagine what it is like to need to do bees' work because you
don't have enough. I take care of "my" bees though. If bees decline
worldwide we are in deep doo.

David