Old 01-01-2009, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider Spider is offline

Default NYD plant count reminder

"Sacha" wrote in message
So - what's flowering in your garden on New Year's Day? ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

On high ground in SE London:

Marguerite, cover'd in yellow flowers.
Erysimum 'Bowles Mauve', many buds, one flower.
Hebes 'Purple Emperor', 'Gloriosa', 'Nicola's Blush', 'Midsummer Beauty',
'Purple Picture', plus one purple seedling - all with some flower,
'Gloriosa' lots of flower, but not enjoying frost.
Cyclamen coum, few crimson buds; Cyclamen persicum, 5 coral pink flowers
(slightly sheltered pot culture).
Fuchsias 'Rufus the Red', Lady Boothby, Mrs Popple, magellenica - scattered
flowers and buds; not enjoying frost.
Jasminum nudiflorum and polyanthum, in flower plus many buds.
Rosmarinus prostrata 'Severn Seas', many flowers
Erigeron karvinskianus, many white flowers.
Chaenomeles 'Red and Gold', many *just* colouring buds; C. 'Geisha Girl',
tight buds only.
Veronica prostrata 'Georgia Blue', one perfect flower.
Sarcocca, many pink buds.
Laurus nobilis, very many buds (west side of tree most advanced).
Vinca minor, dense apical bud growth with one clear flower bud.
Rhodo/Azaleas, 'Vinecourt Dream', 'Ptarmigan', cilipinense - in bud only
Helleborus argutifolius, (lenten) hybrids, lividus, double-flower-type -
many buds, some more advanced.
Mahonia japonica, many lovely, scented flowers.
Pieris, many buds.
Sophora microplylla, many compact buds.
Exochorda macrantha 'The Bride', scattered tight green buds.
Pelargonium (zonal), scarlet flowers and buds - in open porch.
Primulas inc. vulgaris, few flowers.
Roses nozomi, 'The Fairy', 'Audrey Wilcox - few buds and scattered haws.
Pyracantha 'Orange Glow', 4 large panicles of bud with some scattered
flowers.
Lavatera rosea sport, 2 frosted flowers, 1 coloured bud.

also, there were berries on:
Pyracantha, Cotoneaster (lacteus and horizontalis), Fatshedhera, Ilex
'Golden King', Roses 'The Fairy', 'Ballerina' and moyesii 'Geranium'.

plus, bark colour on Betula pendula purpurea and Cornus alba 'Sibirica'.
Glancing around, I could also see many flowers on a neighbour's Coronilla
(no, I'm not cheating! It's not in my garden, but I add it for the
phenologically aware!

Chilly Spider
Wishing everyone a happy and blooming new year.