Old 01-01-2009, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default NYD plant count reminder

Charlie Pridham writes

Happy New Year to you all.
Here is my list for 1st January 2009, all out doors. Rather surprised
there is as much as its been cold and I do not plant stuff for this time
of year, also surprising is what is not on the list - no snowdrops,
daffodils, celandines, and even Camellia St Ewe is still in tight bud

Goodness me! This really highlights the differences between Cornwall and
Yorkshire!

Agree with the comment on cold - without checking records, it feels to
have been the coldest winter for nearly 10 years. All ponds are frozen
today, as they were for a large part of December.

Cyclamen coum album

No hint of C coum yet.

Fuchsia magellanica

Mine, of course, has been cut down to the ground and I won't expect
anything more till mid summer.

Helleborous various hybrids plus x sternii, argutifolius, and foetidus

Buds just showing on orientalis

Lonicera x pupusii

Yes.

Primrose (just one flower!)

Quite a few primroses and polyanthus, and a single auricula

Viburnum x bodentense Dawn

Yes, and V tinus.

Pieris and mahonia in bud.

Other flowers:
Pansy
Calendula (still hanging on grimly from the autumn)
Hammamelis - a red flowered one. H mollis not in flower yet (though it
did have a burst of flower in the autumn, as did Fothergillia)
Winter jasmine
Yellow poppy
And an astonishingly large crop of oyster mushrooms. Does anyone know
the best way to preserve these? Drying?)

Altogether, a pretty pathetic showing, although the garden still has a
lot of interest in berries and bark.

But in the frost-free greenhouse I can boast two species of cacti and a
succulent in flower, along with jasmine, pelargonium and butterwort.

--
Kay