Old 23-02-2003, 10:06 PM
profpam

Default Orchids in the Kitchen window

The real question is: Is the kitchen window shady or sunny? If it is
always shady then a phalaenopsis would be the solution. If the kitchen
window is a little sunny, an oncidium would do best. Oncidiums are not
as fussy as most orchids and require good light in order to bloom.

The problem with any sunny exposure is that you have to watch the plant
closely. There are are times during the year when the plant will thrive
and other times when the plant will fry. If the plant starts to yellow
then it may be exposed to too much sun.

Right now I have quite a number of orchids in my southern exposure
kitchen windows -- 5 vanda types in bloom, a couple of colmanaras, a
laeliocattleya and several other types. These are the same plants that
never seem to fail to bloom each year. But, taking them from the
greenhouse and then placing them in the house to open their buds can be
a real disaster for some types, which require constant humdity.

This is to say: There's a lot to growing orchids well: temperature,
light, humidity, water, fertilizer, and more. Make sure your conditions
are right for what you are trying to grow. While stress has induced
blossums, the long-term success of a particular species relies on
temperature, light, humidity, water, and more.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html
Wendy wrote:

So, Nina & Doug, Which one is the easiest for a novice? I need something
super simple please if you could
recommend any software. Thanks Wendy