Old 01-01-2009, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Luton[_2_] Paul Luton[_2_] is offline

Default Greenhouse Glazing options

Bookworm wrote:
On 31 Dec 2008, 18:02, "someone" wrote:
"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

T...
In article ,
says...

Does anybody else find that bubble wrap is a real pain to install? For my 7'
x 7' greenhouse it takes a day's work every second year, and the bubble
wrap, which I buy in huge rolls, never overlaps enough, (just 1 cm wider
would do), so, as well as the plastic clips, I have to use yards/metres of
Duck Tape to get around the angles where the roof meets the walls and where
the edges of the bubble wrap don't quite meet. The clips work fine but
there are bits of the greenhouse where they can't be used. There must be a
better way. Can one buy the sort of double-glazed skin that the Eden
Project uses, I wonder.

someone

You can buy clear tape that is used on Polytunnels from good
Horticultural suppliers. It is very tough, sticky and expensive.

You shouldnt have to replace the bubble wrap every two years. Mine
lasts far longer than that. I did use some bubble wrap that is used
for packaging and that became brittle after two years. Try
Horticultural Bubble Wrap which has more UV resistance? More expensive
but you gets what you pay for.

Is this all assuming that the bubble wrap stays up all year ? Is it
worth taking down in Spring to maximise light levels or not worth the
bother ?

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames