Old 01-01-2009, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Brown Kate Brown is offline

Default NYD plant count reminder

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009, Spider wrote

"Kate Brown" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Jan 2009, Spider wrote

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
So - what's flowering in your garden on New Year's Day? ;-)

On high ground in SE London:

a perfectly astonishing quantity of flowering stuff

In another highish bit of SE London we've got several very ordinary but
startlingly red cyclamen (Persicum? I'm afraid I bought them in Lewisham
market, and they don't go in much for the Latin) and a solitary surprised
pink, together with a lot of frozen rosebuds. Whereabouts are you,
Spider? We're in Blackheath.

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot
org dot uk if you
want to reply personally

Sorry, Kate, I forgot to comment on your Cyclamen. It certainly does sound
like a persicum type. I don't know of another cyclamen which produces red
flowers. The flowers of persicum types also tend to be larger - although
not all of them as large as the 'Christmas' houseplant forms.

These flowers are a little bit larger than the wild ones, but not huge.
They have a sweet scent - some of these started indoors last year and
were planted out later, and at least one started off bright red and has
reverted to pink.

Oh, and I forgot a yellow jasmine, going great guns.