Old 02-01-2009, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default raised beds

"catkin" wrote in message
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can make these out of
please? I've been using some made of old chopped up pallets which I joined
together using various metal "bits" but these have had it now and I'd like
to make something slightly more aesthetically pleasing. My first thought
was railway sleepers but these (untreated) seem prohibitably expensive -
especially delivered to Somerset. I also thought about scaffolding planks
but cannot find anywhere selling these. Any suggestions would be most
welcome. TIA,

Not sure what your defintion of 'railway sleepers' is. To me that means the
huge heavy mothers used to railway tracks.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living...-195371054.htm
$40 odd each

I built raised beds using 'garden sleepers'
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living...-195258638.htm
$15-20 odd each when bought from the guy who mills them.

The 2 jokers I purchased from had 'seconds' which reduced the price down to
about $7-8 per sleeper. These are 200mm wide, 100 mm deep and 2.1 metres
long.

If you can find someone who mills garden sleepers in your area see if they
have seconds available.

I put my gardens together (3-4 sleepers high) roughly like this but without
all the reinforcing.
http://www.railwaysleeper.com/Chris's%20A-Z%20of%20a%20railway%20sleeper%20raised%20bed.htm

If not that way, Bob has the right way to go with scaffold planks. Tick for
that.

rob