Old 03-01-2009, 12:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Bees gone for a break too?

Jonno wrote:
I was in Tassie, having been made aware of the problem of bees
getting to "bee" scarce.
Saw their imported from New Zealand bumble bees foraging in my sisters
garden.
I'm not sure what damage these are doing there, but feel their
leatherwood honey producers are very concerned.
Does anyone know what would happen on the mainland if they make their
way here?
It seems that the accidental importation (from NZ) may create a
superior to local bee, as their pollination is far more productive
from what I've read, as is their method of attack, when disturbed, as
they can sting many times....

The world will not starve without bees but life would be more difficult and
certainly more boring. While the major crops that provide callories
(grains) mostly don't need bees many minor crops do, including many fruits
and vegetables.

This makes interesting reading:

http://gears.tucson.ars.ag.gov/book/

David