Old 02-01-2009, 11:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default More Longwood-2 - 09A_0009_Camellia.jpg

John - Pa. wrote ...
A Camellia (didn't get the cultivar name). I have seen camellia in
catalogs that claim to be hardy down to our USDA zone-6 and I have
been thinking about trying one. Does anyone have experience with hardy
camellia? We rarely hit the -10 minimum of zone-6, but we often break
0-degrees once or twice a season.

We grow a number of Camellias (in the UK) and get frost of 0°C to -3°C every
year, usually only overnight though, it rarely stays all day. The plants
just ignore the cold but you do get a problem if the flower buds open and it
gets frosty and then the sun rises and "burns" the frozen flower (freeze
drying it). It's why we try to grow them where the early morning sun won't
hit them.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden