Old 04-01-2009, 08:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
R M Watkin R M Watkin is offline

Default Eggplant - which best colder areas

Hi All,

"Ian Gay" wrote in message ...
Mark wrote:

We live near Vancouver, BC and have been trying to grow eggplants for
the
last two summers. First year nothing and last year we had one
eggplant on five plants.

Does anybody know of a good variety to grow in a Northern climate?
I'm
ready to order seeds and want to try something new. We're hoping for
a warmer summer this year (the last two were milder than normal) so
that might help.

Any hints on growing them would be appreciated also. The wife read a
lot about them last year and we tried some different methods of
growing - but to no luck (well, maybe a little luck - the one edible
eggplant gave me hope for this year!).

Gratefully,
Mark Thompson

Outdoor eggplants are a dubious proposition in Vancouver. You need lots
of sun! (Remember last June? ) I have had best success with the
variety Vittoria (available from William Dam).

Ian

I believe they allso need a humid atmosphere, If you mist them from time to
time it may help.
hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

*********** To reply by e-mail, make w single in address **************